Friday, September 26, 2008

Greetings from Sacco's Bowl Haven

The place I'll be exploring is Sacco's Bowl Haven, a candlepins alley in Somerville MA. Specifically, I'll be looking at the pool room that's divided away from the bowling area. I spend about a dozen hours a week there, practicing aspects of my pool game and playing in a Sunday league and also a weekly appointment with a friend to play a specific pool game no longer in fashion.

As with a deck of cards, there are almost an infinite number of games that can be played with numbered balls on a table with six pockets. But out of that array, most everyone plays one of two games: eight-ball (which is the format of our Sunday league) or nine-ball (which is what you'll see most often on ESPN). But the tournament game that was the king of all up until the 1970s is called straight pool, or more formally, 14.1 Continuous. That's the game my friend and I play every Tuesday night.



More on the embodiment of Sacco's tomorrow...